1) WHO MAY ENTER/EXHIBIT?
- Any person who by their own effort grows plants, vegetables, flowers, etc., for pleasure.
- Exhibitors do not need to be members of the Culver City Garden Club.
- Children may enter plants they have grown. Children may enter as a group (such as a
classroom) or individually. Children may enter plants in the Student Division or in the
Standard (Adult) categories.
- Couples or families may enter together as one Exhibitor if they desire.
- Clubs & Societies may enter plants for display purposes only. Their entries will not be judged.
2) PLANT & CUT FLOWER ENTRIES:
- Entries must be from the Exhibitor's private collection and personally grown
Entries must have been owned and grown by the Exhibitor for at least 60 days prior to the
Show. A 30-day rule applies to plants the Exhibitor started and grew from seed, cuttings or
tomatoes/vegetables grown from purchased 6-packs or 4-inch pots.
- Plants must be groomed before entry. No grooming is allowed after entry
without Club permission.
- The Show Chair and Entry Officials may refuse to enter an inferior, diseased, insect-
infested plant or cut flower and may remove from the Venue any damaged or unsightly
- Hanging entries are welcomed. Show Officials will attempt to display such entries
- Flower Arrangements - Exhibitor Grown may contain only plant materials grown by the
Exhibitor. If the arrangement contains both grown and purchased materials, it must be
entered in Not Exhibitor Grown.
- Flower Arrangements - Not Exhibitor Grown are judged solely on their aesthetics.
Arrangements may not have been purchased pre-arranged.
- Plants grown primarily for their blooms may not be entered if not currently in bloom. This includes, but is not necessarily limited to fuchsias, orchids, begonias and African violets.
- No silk flowers or other artificial flowers/plants are allowed in any category.
- Foreign objects, such as ceramic figurines, are only allowed in Terrariums, Bonsai & Dish Gardens.
- Entries in glass bowls or terrariums may be displayed either open or sealed.
- Must be neat and clean. Containers should also be proportionate to the plant.
- Metal or plastic nursery containers are not encouraged except for pots larger than 14".
- Pots should be of a color that does not draw attention away from the plant.
- Use of white pots is generally not recommended. Use of unique, artistic or humorous
containers are allowed if the container adds to the overall presentation.
- Individual potted plants generally should be centered in their containers.
- Gravel, small rocks or lava is allowed in pots at the base of the plants. If used, it should be inconspicuous in color and not draw attention away from the entry.
- Cut flower Exhibitors must furnish their own containers, preferably clean and unetched.
- Exhibitors of Harvested Fruit or Vegetables will be provided with an appropriate dish, bowl,
plate, etc. for display purposes. Do not mix different kinds in one container.
- Entries will be accepted Friday, June 10 only from those volunteering for Set-Up, between 7 – 9 PM. All others should be entered on Saturday, June 27, from 8 PM to 9:15 AM only. No late registration will be accepted.
- There is no limit to the number of plants/flowers that may be entered.
- Entries should include the plant's name/variety when possible. However, no labels/name
tags should remain visible on the plant when entered.
- Entries must be brought to the Teen Center at the address above.
- Exhibitors should have their entry paperwork completed prior to registering.
- This includes completing one Plant Entry Slip for each plant to be entered and an Exhibitor
- Entry Sheet, listing all the plants/flowers to be entered. Forms and assistance are available.
- Each Exhibitor will be assigned an Exhibitor Number, to assist in registering and identifying
entries. Please, try to obtain one before entering your plants.
- Plant Entry Slips must be reviewed and initialed by a Classification Clerk, then recorded
into the Entry Records.
- Only recorded exhibits are eligible for awards.
- Exhibitors (other than Cut Flowers and Arrangements) may not place exhibits on display
tables without the permission of Clerks or Show Officials.
- Exhibitors may place cut flower entries and arrangements on tables if each one is finished,
- classified and entered by 9:15 AM, when Plant Entry is stopped.
- Entries must be placed by 9:30AM Saturday.
- Entries not in place can be Non-Competitive Entries only.
- Ribbons: Those attending the Show will vote on 1st place (blue), 2nd place (red) and 3rd place (white) ribbons in each class when merited. For ribbons only, each plant will
be judged on its own merits and not in competition with any other plant.
- Certificates: Will be awarded to the 1st place (blue) ribbon winner whose plant is voted
- Best-in-Division as calculated by the Classification Clerks. If there are no 1st place (blue) ribbon winners in a division, no Certificate will be awarded. Certificates are awarded awarded at the discretion of the Clerks
Special Award Certificates include:
- Best in Show – Still Growing: Awarded to the Certificate winner whose entry is
voted best among all Certificate winners in the Still-Growing Plants Divisions
- Best in Show – Harvested/Cut: Awarded to the Certificate winner whose entry is
voted best among all0 Certificate winners in the No Longer Growing Divisions.
The final two trophies cannot be won by the same person
- Culver City Garden Club: Will be awarded to the Club member who has received
the most Blue Ribbons in the Growing and No Longer Growing Divisions. In the event
of a tie, both Entrants will receive the Award.
- Best Overall Gardener: Will be awarded to the Club member earning a Blue Ribbon
in the largest number of different classes.
- Certificate & Trophies/Plaques are usually presented to the winners at the
next Potluck Meeting of the Culver City Garden Club.
- The Show Chair/Officials have the final decisions in all matters relating to
6) SHOW HOURS:
The Show is open to the Public: Saturday, June 10, 11 AM - 4 PM
and Sunday, Juene 11, 10 AM – 4 PM.
7) REMOVAL OF EXHIBITS:
- No entry may be removed until the Show closes at 4 PM on Sunday, without the permission
of the Show Chair.
- All entries must be removed by Sunday at 6 PM.
8) SHOW RESPONSIBILITY/LIABILITY:
Show volunteers and Club Officials will exercise the utmost care in safeguarding Exhibits, but we cannot assume responsibility for loss or damage to property or for personal injury.